Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Ramp And Ricotta Ravioli

Ramp And Ricotta Ravioli
kosher

I love this time of year.  So many great vegetables are coming into season, and that means it is time for ramps. Ramps are a wild spring onion similar to scallions that usually only available in the spring.  The are coveted by chefs and are snapped up quickly.  Usually you can only find them at a farmer's markets or at Whole Foods Market.   Before today I was never able to get my hands on them, so when I saw them at my local fruit store I jumped at the chance to buy some.  If you cannot find ramps you can use scallions for the ramp bottoms and spinach for the ramp tops.
I do have to admit making pasta from scratch without a pasta roller is time consuming and a literal pain in the neck.  I did use a rolling pin, but every time I do, I think to myself, "I really should get the pasta rolling attachment for my (wife's) KitchenAid stand mixer.  I also kneaded the dough by hand, but I recommend using the stand mixer.  I based my recipe on Alton Brown's which can be found here: Alton Brown's Ravioli

Ramp And Ricotta Ravioli
Makes about 24 pieces
Pasta
10 oz All Purpose Flour
2 Large Eggs
1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Water
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

Combine all ingredients in your stand mixer.  Using the dough hook kneading on low for five minutes or until the dough comes together into a tight ball.  Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Using a pasta roller or a rolling pin, roll out to a very thin sheet and cut rounds using a cookie cutter.

Filling
1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
Ramp Tops of 6 Ramps, chopped (or a handful of chopped spinach)
Ramp Bottoms of 6 Ramps, slilced thinly (or the white part of 6 scallions, sliced thinly)
2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Nutmeg

In a hot pan, saute the ramps and garlic in the olive oil until the ramps are translucent.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Let the ramps cool and mix with the ricotta and Parmesan. Grate in nutmeg to taste.

Filling and Cooking Instructions:
You will need:
Egg Wash  (1 egg beaten with with 2 tablespoons of water)
2 Tablespoons of Butter
4 Fresh Chopped Sage Leaves
Salt

Put a large pot of salted water (at least a 1/2 gallon of water with a few heavy pinches of salt) over high heat to bring to a boil.

Put about a 1/2 teaspoon of filling in the middle of each pasta round, depending on how large your rounds are.  Be careful not to overfill you ravioli, or you risk them bursting when you cook them.  Paint half of the pasta round with egg wash and fold in half.  Try to squeeze out as much air as possible and press down on the edges all the way around to seal.

Boil the raviolis in batches of six, until they float to the surface.  Once they come out of the water they can be frozen for later use, or browned in the butter and sage and eaten immediately.  Garnish with some fresh chopped ramp leaves and grated Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment