Alton Brown's Chili modified to be kosher and shabbos crock-pot friendly
- 3 pounds stew meat or whatever is on sale
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 (12-ounce) bottle of beer, preferably a medium ale
- 1 (16-ounce) container salsa
- 30 tortilla chips
- 1 diced green bell pepper
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 1 diced medium onion
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder or smoked paprika
- 1 medium can of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Place the meat in a large mixing bowl and toss with the oil. Set aside.
Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat until hot. Add the meat in 3 or 4 batches and brown on all sides, approximately 2 minutes per batch. Once each batch is browned, place the meat in a clean large bowl.
Once all of the meat is browned, add the beer and meat to the crock-pot.
Saute the peppers and onions in the pan that you browned the meat in. Add the vegetable to the crock-pot along with the salsa, tortilla chips, spices, and tomato sauce. Cook on low
Yields 4 servings but can be easily scaled up to fit your crowd. Also you can go vegetarian with this one my skipping the meat and adding a bag of kidney beans directly to the crock-pot instead.
Garnish with onions, jalapeños, and corn.