Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Sufganiot (Donuts)


I am not much of a baker, but good thing my wife is.  See her guest post below:

Sufganiot (Donuts)
Guest Post by Ronit Peikes

Sufganiot, or donuts, are a classic Chanukah treat. Traditionally, sufganiot are filled with jelly, custard, caramel cream or chocolate cream. In an effort to engage the kids in a fun activity at a rainy day, I decided to embark on making homemade sufganiot with the kids. We made them smaller, more like mini donut balls, using the recipe below. The original recipe is from

Mini Donuts:
3.5 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp yeast
4 heaping Tbsp sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
6 Tbsp butter, softened
Oil for frying
**I made the donuts non-dairy, so I used soy milk in place of milk and margerine instead of butter. I also made a half recipe, as the full recipe said it would make about 45 donuts and our family of four definitely didn't need that many. A half recipe made about 22 donuts.
Mix all ingredients and set aside to rise for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, shape dough into ping-pong sized balls and allow to rise for another hour. **I found the dough to be very sticky, so we used some flour to help form the dough balls.
While dough is rising, prepare chocolate glaze: melt together 4.5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, 3/4 c rich's whip, and 1 Tbsp margerine. Set aside to cool.
Heat oil in a large pot until hot but not popping. Fry a few balls at a time for about 1 minute on each side, or until golden brown. Set aside to paper-towel lined cookie sheet to cool and then dip in toppings. I prepared three toppings options: cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar, and chocolate glaze with different sprinkles to dip in afterwards.
The kids really enjoyed being involved in every part of the process except the actual frying. And they liked eating them even more!
Chanukah Sameach!

2 comments:

  1. My wife is the baker in our family too, although this chanukah her shining moment was a cocktail, the "Sufgani-tini".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ronit thanks I'm going to have to try it. ps sorry I didn't see you when I was in, next time

    ReplyDelete