Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Why I Hate Greenbean Casserole, and What I Plan On Doing About It

Here is the thing about green bean casserole, it is just plain bad.  It is generally make with inferior processed products.  Canned green beans by definition are already overcooked in the canning process, and then you go and cook them again.  Canned cream of mushroom soup soup also not exactly high quality stuff. One thing I do have to admit, I like the French's onions.  Now I realize they are not exactly high quality or healthy but they are tasty.  Although they tend to get a bit soggy in a casserole. All together it makes for a rather unhealthy dish with mediocre flavor and a mushy texture.

Here is what I am planning on doing about it:
1.  Just don't do it.  Don't make the casserole.  Green beans can be delicious, roasted, steamed or sauteed as long as  they are not overcooked.

2.  If you must have your casserole, use fresh green beans.  Also, sweat some fresh mushrooms covered so the liquid does not evaporate and mix in a roux and some cream.  To make it non-dairy (parev) use margarine or oil in the roux and soy milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment